How Disney World is responding as Epic Universe opens next month

DISNEY WORLD
Disney is trying to lure in visitors with new deals, including 50% off kids' theme park tickets, to fight its biggest competitor.

Just before Memorial Day Weekend, Universal is opening its brand-new theme park to the public — the biggest event happening in years in Orlando’s tourism industry.

So how does Disney World — home of the No. 1 theme park in the world — respond to its rival’s move?

Recently, Disney announced a series of deals and is slashing prices to help draw in visitors this Summer once Epic Universe officially opens.

Just after Epic Universe’s May 22 grand opening, Disney is rolling out a special where kids between ages 3 and 9 get 50% off tickets for three days or longer between May 27 and Sept 20. (Children under 3 already get into Disney World for free.)

Disney is also offering discounted hotel stays during the normally busy Summer months, as well as adding a free dining plan on select vacation packages.

Company CEO Bob Iger has publicly downplayed Epic Universe’s impact on Disney World.

Iger previously said he welcomes Universal Orlando’s expansion, and that any competition that brings more visitors to the community will help Disney as well.

“We’ve had competition from them for a long time. I’m mindful of what they’re doing, but I’m confident. I like our hand. I’m confident in what we built and I’m confident we will continue to build,” Iger said during a quarterly earnings call last Spring. “It’s not something that should be distracting to us or anxiety-provoking.”

Meanwhile, Disney World’s biggest answer to Epic Universe — more rides — won’t come for years.

Disney has said it could spend up to $17 billion over the 20 years in Orlando.

For instance, Disney leaders recently announced a plan to build a Villains Land at the Magic Kingdom, which has drawn excitement from fans, as well as a new “Monsters, Inc.” land at Hollywood Studios featuring a high-tech roller coaster.

Other new rides have been more controversial with the fan base, like a plan to demolish Tom Sawyer Island and fill in the Rivers of America to replace it with attractions based on the movie “Cars.” Many fans were critical when the official Disney Parks account posted an update on X.

“Don’t destroy the heart that makes Walt and Roy’s park unique,” one person wrote.

Gabrielle Russon

Gabrielle Russon is an award-winning journalist based in Orlando. She covered the business of theme parks for the Orlando Sentinel. Her previous newspaper stops include the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, Toledo Blade, Kalamazoo Gazette and Elkhart Truth as well as an internship covering the nation’s capital for the Chicago Tribune. For fun, she runs marathons. She gets her training from chasing a toddler around. Contact her at [email protected] or on Twitter @GabrielleRusson .


2 comments

  • Peachy

    April 4, 2025 at 12:10 pm

    Well they responded with Woke White. Now how did that go for Disney? Where is Zegler? 🤣

    Reply

  • Earl Pitts American

    April 4, 2025 at 2:26 pm

    Good afternoon Florida,
    STAND BY FOR BREAKING NEWS:
    These discounts are above and beyond Disney’s usual Florida Citizen discounts and are more related to Disney’s management being aware that their Iconic Brand built by Walt has gone under due to the “GO WOKE – GO BROKE REALITY”.
    Disney’s going down and those who follow me, Earl Pitts American, are aware that we have plans to build an Ultra Secure Prison in Disney’s soon to be abandoned location in Orlando to house the 8iden/Harris ILLEGAL EMIGRANTS.
    Thank you Florida,
    REMEMBER:
    You heard it right here First, from me, Earl Pitts American

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


#FlaPol

Florida Politics is a statewide, new media platform covering campaigns, elections, government, policy, and lobbying in Florida. This platform and all of its content are owned by Extensive Enterprises Media.

Publisher: Peter Schorsch @PeterSchorschFL

Contributors & reporters: Phil Ammann, Drew Dixon, Roseanne Dunkelberger, Liam Fineout, A.G. Gancarski, Ryan Nicol, Jacob Ogles, Cole Pepper, Andrew Powell, Jesse Scheckner, Janelle Taylor, Drew Wilson, and Mike Wright.

Email: [email protected]
Twitter: @PeterSchorschFL
Phone: (727) 642-3162
Address: 204 37th Avenue North #182
St. Petersburg, Florida 33704